Welcome Spring! After a long winter here in the Northeast, we are inspired by 50 degree weather and a few less layers of clothing. On-the-water activities begin in a few weeks with our perennial favorite, American Yacht Club Spring Regatta in Rye, NY
Over the winter, we joined Linda Dianto and her team at the National Lighthouse Museum in Staten Island, NY to support their mission:
- To establish and maintain a history museum open to the public relating to lighthouses and located on Staten Island, County of Richmond, New York.
- To collect, preserve, and interpret objects related to the history and technology of lighthouses located, in the past or present, at sites throughout the United States.
- To research, document and disseminate information on the history and technology of American lighthouses.
- To create and maintain an archive of artifacts and materials related to American lighthouses.
- To foster research of American lighthouse history.
- To serve as a contact point for public inquiry and assistance with respect to American lighthouse history, research, education, collections and programs
- To celebrate American lighthouse heritage through education programs, publications, films, festivals, living history, lighthouse trails, conferences, and other such offerings.
- To support other existing and future lighthouse museums, organizations and sites.
- To establish partnerships with other organizations to attain the above goal
The Museum is scheduled to open on NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE DAY - Thursday, August 7, 2014 with a fun-filled weekend of festivities. Please visit their website and make a contribution. www.lighthousemuseum.org
We also want to bring to your attention another wonderful publication for lighthouse lovers. We encourage you to subscribe to Lighthouse Digest, published in East Machias, Maine. Each issue is chock-full of history and beautifully written tributes to those who came before us. They also run a very newsy Facebook page. www.LighthouseDigest.com
We hope you like the improvements we’ve made to the Online Store and we are so grateful for those who take the time to contact us with comments and suggestions. And as always, don’t forget to LIKE us on Facebook too!