Buffalo Main Light, NY



This popular Buffalo Harbor Lighthouse was built in 1833 - replacing the original light built in 1818.  The first light wasn't bright enough and was only thirty feet tall...the present light tower is eighty feet above sea level and was much easier to see!

This lighthouse remained in active commission until 1985, when she was deactivated.

The structure that looks like a bottle in the painting is one of the two bottle-shaped lighthouses that were set on the breakwater marking the entrance to the harbor.  They were deactivated in 1985; one went to the Dunkirk Lighthouse Museum and the other is in the the company of the Buffalo Main Lighthouse Association.

Al La Banca             Sailor/Artist      Darien, CT

Order by Fax