Holland Harbor Big Red Light, MI
Holland (Big Red) Lighthouse
In 1847, Dutch immigrants established the village of Holland on Lake Macatawa – that was separated from the main lake. Then, to attract shipping trade into their smaller lake, the villagers dug out the channel that connects it to Lake Michigan.
The site for this beautiful lighthouse was established in 1872, and a common wooden building was built on the property. In 1936, the building was expanded and the tower added. In addition, steel plates were installed to the structure and the building was painted a vivid red.
At night, alternating white and red lights flash every ten seconds and serve to identify “Big Red.” She stands fifty-two feet high and her lights can be seen from seventeen miles away.
She continues as an active aid to navigation.