Key West Light, FL
Key West Light
Key West, FL
Built in 1848 at the tip of the Florida Keys, she stands eighty-six feet tall and contributed greatly to helping sailors navigate into Key West.
The first lighthouse at this location was built in 1825, much closer to the water and was destroyed by a hurricane in 1846. Learning from their mistakes, they built the present tower further inland and on higher ground.
This light was deactivated in 1969 but has been restored to its original condition. Today, it serves as a working museum and visitors may climb to the top for a spectacular view of the town and harbor and to inspect a magnificent third order fresnel lens. They just don’t make them like that anymore!
A little trivia: During the civil war many lighthouses were turned off to confuse the Union Navy, but this famous light continued operation.
The keeper’s dwelling is well kept and houses a very interesting museum and gift shop.